I am Sonia Barney, Owner and Principal designer at Sonia Barney Design in Idaho Falls, Idaho. With a Bachelor's Degree in Interior Design and 16+ years of experience in design and construction, and while raising two autistic boys, I know firsthand what it is like to need balance between work and family responsibilities. Making sure there is enough time to enjoy life takes thoughtful planning of one's schedule and environment. Since opening my own design firm in 2015, I have made it my goal to share that knowledge and create tailor-made interiors for active families and bustling businesses.
At Sonia Barney Design
we understand that the space you live and work in is vital to the health and happiness of those residing in it. We crave spaces that reflect our passions, offer sancturary, and help us work at our optimal level. It takes time and skill to curate such a place but isn’t life is too short to be weighed down in design details and construction oversight?
Let us use our expertise to elevate your space so you can focus on enjoying an exceptional life.
Recent Awards and Local Recognition
Idaho's Best Interior Design Firm East Idaho Winner 2023
Idaho Falls Magazine
Featured Article May 2022
Home and Garden Issue
"My husband and I still say that it was the best decision we made in regards to our home... She knew things and had insight that we never would have known if she wasn’t helping us through it all." -M.C.
"Creative, organized, great communication, and follows through." - A.C.
"[Sonia] handled every aspect of the design process professionally and made it a pleasure rather than a stressor." - A.H.
"[Sonia] understood just what I was after and created rooms that reflect my taste and personality." - C.L.
The SBD Design Process
What to Expect at Each Step
We Know What You're Thinking...
Can an Interior Designer Really Help Me?
Yes! Interior Designers can make the difference in a remodel, renovation or new construction project. We have more than 20 years experience studying and working in the field. Your Interior Designer can deliver
- A stress-free process—we know the pit-falls and go-to solutions
- Quality and competence at every step—we can steer you in the right direction so you don’t unintentionally make costly mistakes
- Expert designs with longevity, functionality, and high satisfaction
Can't My Contractor Just Handle All the Design?
Contractors are essential, but their time is spent coordinating subcontractors, getting permits and ensuring the project is completed safely. Your Interior Designer
- Has a different set of skills and training
- Can customize the space to your styles and passions (there’s a reason why contractor’s houses look the same!)
- Helps you avoid one of the biggest mistakes—choosing furniture last (and having it not fit!)
Why Would I Hire Someone to Pick Paint Colors and Pillows?
While your Interior Designer does help you choose furnishings and colors, a professional designer is so much more than a decorator! Think of us as Interior Architects. We understand
- Structural and mechanical systems in your home that aren’t visible to you
- Cabinetry design and custom solutions that fit your unique needs
- How to create functional design with longevity and luxury
Excited to Get Started?
Working with the Sonia Barney Design team is simple
1. Get started by scheduling your free 15 minute Introductory Phone Call. Tell us about your project and learn about our services and process, no strings attached.
2. Book your Initial Consultation. This is where we’ll learn more about your space, your needs, and start brainstorming solutions. In this 1-2 hour design meeting, you can ask any questions— nothing is off limits—and get expert help from a professional Interior Designer. You will receive a custom quote for your unique project scope within 7 days of your Initial Consultation. There is an additional fee of $250 for out-of-town consultations.
Schedule Your Introductory Phone Call Today
Choose the best time for you and receive a free 15 minute phone consultation with the Sonia Barney Design Team.